Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cow Gas Mask: Step Two


Here I have cut the duct tape pattern pieces apart with an Xacto knife, and I'm peeling them off one by one. The wooden disc leaves a hole for the eyepiece and its lens will go.


I transfer the duct tape patterns onto a piece of heavy cardstock, which after some fine-tuning become my final patterns.


Starting with the snout, I cut the leather pieces along with the stitching holes, case them in water and handstitch them together. While still damp I fit them onto the foam model to ensure a good fit.


Here the mask is mostly together. The darker leather is where I got it wet in order to stitch on the eye trim. Still more to come.


1 comment:

  1. I have been following your blog for some time now. On this post and others about patterns, how do you decide the placement of the seems? Is it just aesthetic or is there some curvature/surface bend theory you use. I have just made a model following your tutorials and have a tape skin , I am ready to pattern it but need some guidelines .

    Chaosdoc@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete